Tuesday 26 April 2011

stollen, ftw

First dips!

Okay, my auntie Rose, is well-known among us as the preferred baker and confection-maker during holiday season. Pineapple tarts, experimental pineapple briyani, or was it, raisins, er, nvm, and fruit cakes are her specialities, and now, we’ve even got a stollen. When my mum got the sms: ‘Please come to take stollen for fi…’, my mum went: ‘I don’t know if it’s a typo…’ so we went to google it and found out what it was…

Stollen: “a loaf-shaped cake containing dried fruit, and covered with sugar, powdered sugar or icing sugar” (wiki entry for stollen).

I went: Fruit cakes, again?!

Mum: You better eat it…!

Monday morning and everybody was hungry before work, so guess what was offered on the table… Stollen.

Oddly enough, it was a fantastically tasty loaf of bread with just the right amount of sweetness, fruits and nuts, and sugar (yeah, so, I swiped away some of it) but it was great! My mum took some to work. My sis grew the green eye of jealousy, since she’s an experimental baker herself, and I’ll never say ‘no’ to fruit cakes again!

Thanks auntie Ros! (that reminds me… i haven’t replied that sms yet… i guess the stomach asks for pleasure first too…)

No comments:

Post a Comment